13 February 2013

Is J. Crew preppy?

When I was in high school, I discovered the J. Crew catalog. I still like catalogs better than online shopping, but that's a different topic for another day. J. Crew had polos, khakis, adorable yellow rain jackets (my favorite rain jacket, however, was my kelly green with navy and white striped lining from Pappagallo in the 90s), and cute OCBD's. Now...not so much.

Formerly preppy J. Crew has joined the ranks of Abercrombie, American Eagle, and Aeropostle. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of what J. Crew has to offer, but except for a pair of seersucker shorts and flip flops, I have not purchased anything from there in years. J. Crew is a lot like Kate Spade style. It's classic as in Jackie Onassis, not classic as in Katherine Hepburn. In my opinion, which is not going to make the world spin or anything, J. Crew is no longer authentically preppy.




3 comments:

  1. Nope, but they've got some cute things. I really miss all their tortoise shell hair accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed...I have a closet full of vintage critter cords...once they stopped selling those, they lost me. It's the same with so many companies, they only want the 20 year old customer who is into labels and bragging about where they buy their clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across your post by chance, because I was looking for jcrew critter pajama pants. I miss the preppy days as well. I bought a pair of critter sandals and pajamas every year and drooled over the madras items :) I totally agree with your post. Jcrew has become "seriously sophisticated."

    PS. I was named after Katharine Hepburn. You need to fix the spelling.

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...