25 March 2013

Monday, Monday, Monday

This day has not been red letter, so to change my thought path, I'm going to talk about food...that I can't eat...because my sphincter feels like it's about to rupture in my upper stomach...sigh...oops going back to that thought path again. While listening to the maintenance workers change out my water heater that busted causing my 15 year old and I stand out in 30 degree weather, I will talk about Meatless Monday.

Meatless Monday was started a few years ago to encourage people to give up meat 1 day a week for both combating the obesity epidemic and helping the planet. I also think that if you're saving a few dollars that's a good reason as well. Meat is expensive. I'm not going to get into the political debate about Mother Earth, as that's not my main focus, thought it is important. For me, eating more vegetables and/or whole grains is a good way to lose some poundage, which all but 1 of us is in need. We are also working hard to save money on groceries since my husband's recent unemployment, so it's pretty much a no-brainer, IF, done right.

Vegetarianism and Veganism can lead to many nutritional abnormalities such as becoming deficient in iron, b12, and zinc. It can also lead to diabetes, which runs rampant in my husband's side of the family. Protein is very important to keep your body healthy and not have the highs and lows of blood sugar crashes. One of my family members is lactose intolerant, so dairy is not a source of protein we can utilize. That being said, if you give up 1 or 2 suppers without animal protein, ya ain't gonna die.

So, we eat rice and beans, beans and cornbread, vegetable soup containing beans, spaghetti squash, risotto, and quinoa. Quinoa is a big deal lately as it's now a superfood. It's taken me awhile to get used to the flavor. Okay, I hate it, but, I will tolerate it once or twice a month. My older 2 teens and husband love it! I incorporate broccoli in our foods on MM as it turns out there's protein in it! We eat a lot of salads with nuts and garbanzo beans as well.

Here are a few tried and true recipes that my teenagers will eat. I do the salad. I'm pathetic, I know. ;)

Quinoa and Red Pepper
Pleasantview Soups
Mediterranean Quinoa
Creamy Tomato Soup (add white beans)
Spaghetti Squash
Quinoa Mac and Cheese
Trader Joe's Brown rice and Tofu (I add black beans, cilantro, and I eat sour cream to tolerate it!)
Baked Beans and Cornbread (my fave!!)
Giada's Lemon Risotto/Butternut Squash Risotto from Everyday Italian

Farrah's Vegetable Soup:
In a 4+ Qt. dutch oven or pan add:
2Tbsp. olive oil
1/3C onions (if you have peppers, add a Tbsp.)
4 cloves of minced garlic (Trader Joe's has them minced and frozen, yippee!)
Saute until onions are transparent. Then add:

2.5C mixed vegetables or whatever veggies you want that are NOT cruciferous
1 can white kidney beans that have been drained and rinsed
1 carton LOW SODIUM broth (vegetable or chicken)
Add water if needed to cover the vegetables and beans. Simmer over medium-low heat for 30 minutes.



4 comments:

  1. I had no idea that folk even ate meat every day!
    We have meat about twice a week, I think mum has it once or twice two, I love veggies and wholegrains more than anything, they fill me up and make me feel happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabs, you need to send me your menu plan! We eat meat literally 5-6 days week for dinner. The male's in my family are meat and potato men.

      Delete
  2. Numbers Man loathes the concept of Meatless Mondays and thinks of it as a vegetarian marketing ploy as there are tons of meatless entrees we all enjoy. I think it's a very sensible idea to incorporate more non-animal sources of food into our family's repritoire (?sp?). I have to remind myself to eat more meat, in all honesty. Well, other than roasted chicken because I crave that like the dickens!

    Thanks for the recipe suggestions and I'm so sorry to hear that your Monday was less than stellar. :(

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boys agree with numbers man! My husband is starting to come around since the cost of groceries has gone down a little with fewer meals with meat.

      It's been a rough March, but I'll live. Thank you for your sympathy!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...