17 March 2013

Spring Cleaning

This week I begin the bi-annual thorough cleaning of our petite mason. Mother taught me to scrub the home from top to bottom in the spring and fall. Ceilings, base boards, fans, air ducts, windows, windowsills, closets, couch cushions, lampshades, lamps, cabinets, wash the curtains, and organize the pantry are the areas I plan to tackle.

The weather will be in the 60s, so that will work for opening the windows to sweep the dust out, yet it lets in the pollen. Whatcha gonna do.

"The chief aim of house cleaning is to produce a sanitary condition and to make the home ready for bright spring days. March is a busy month for the homemaker; there is a garden to plan, the spring outfits to sew, and standing out above and beyond everything else, the house to clean. Modern devices have so systemized the cleaning department of the home that the annual upheaval from attic to cellar has been partially eliminated. With all the rooms used during the winter they are given a weekly or daily cleaning. But there comes a time in the spring for the more thorough investigation of the closets and cupboards. One never realizes how fast the clippings and papers and magazines put aside to be read at our leisure can accumulate until our attention is called to them when cleaning day comes. During the early days of March with its variable weather, high winds and dark days, there will be an occasional sunshiny, warm day that brings out the dust streaks on the windows and the smoke-covered wallpaper becomes very noticeable. Then the housekeeper feels the need of indulging in the thorough renovation of the house. On all sides come the swish of the broom and the hum of the vacuum cleaner, the sound of the carpet beater and the backyard fills with lines of bedding and clothing showing that the campaign is on." -"The Young Housewife", 1927

4 comments:

  1. If only!!! I've been cleaning in 15 minute spurts since Baby Girl came on the scene. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 2 rooms finished, thus far. I'm saving the bedrooms for last. I routinely get into a lets throw out everything but the kitchen sink mentality and we are about there! Just enjoy this time, C, as the baby years doesn't last long. My baby turns 15 tomorrow and I'm finding myself crying realizing my time with him is almost over!

      Delete
  2. Can't believe I haven't followed before, I love your take on life. I would honestly loves t be the perfect housewife, that's always been my calling, though I can't really cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabitha, being a home keeper did NOT come easily, but now I'm happy to be where I am! If you were with me in Atlanta I would teach you how to cook and you could help me get a smokin bod like yours!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...