05 April 2013

Sinful Chocolate Cake

My husband told me that he didn't want any desserts this year for his birthday. That's nonsense!  I told him that just because he didn't want cake doesn't mean the rest of us should miss out, even those of us, namely me, that are looking a little too Nigella-esque (old Nigella, not new and improved Nigella) as I am back on crutches and eat little more than Jello Pudding made with whole milk. I digress. We wanted cake to go with the Trader Joe's ice cream that we purchased. So, I made everyone, sans husband, their favorite cake, Sinful Chocolate Cake. My friend Rebecca gave me this recipe several years ago and it is always a moist, chocolatey, hit.

Sinful Double Chocolate Cake
Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl (I used my Kitchen Aid mixer bowl) add:

2 C all purpose flour
1 C sugar
1.5 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp baking soda
4 Tbsp cocoa
1 C mayonnaise
1 C water
2 tsp vanilla (I prefer vanilla with bourbon from Trader Joe's)

Combined until well incorporated and mostly smooth, but there will be some small lumps. Place in a greased 13x9. Put in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. In the meantime make the icing.

Icing

1 stick of butter
1.25 C milk
1.25 C cocoa
1 C sugar

Add all ingredients to a saucepan. Bring to a boil, while continuously stirring. Boil for 1 minute.

When cake is finished baking, poke holes in it with a wooden spoon handle. Pour the icing on top of the cake. Put a bag of whatever chocolate chips you have on hand on top of the icing. Allow to harden and cool for minimum of 30 minutes. You can do it. I promise it's worth the wait! Then ENJOY! (I had mine with moose track ice cream.)

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmm, delicious? Sounds like it might be. I'll let you know. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jan, it's good. Just a warning!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...