01 July 2013

Latest Francophilian Obsession


It's no secret that I am both an Anglophile and Francophile. I love British literature, tea, television shows, the Royals, Barbour, Sloane Ranger style, etc. However, I love the French way of living, but not the snobs. I enjoy their rituals of living and eating.

Several years ago I read, and continuously listen to on my iPhone, French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano. Then my cousin moved to France. Karyn, someday I will visit you! Anyway, I realized what an elegant and ritualistic society that make up the French way of living...the French Paradox. The women and men are elegant in their movements, clothing, eating, and even in raising of their children.

Though I no longer have little children in the house, I do think the rules listed below are for all ages. Eating real foods (I've had to give up fast food from my surgery and I am so grateful!), eating only at the table, and if you don't like it then don't eat but you won't be given anything else., etc. Americans eat horribly. We are always looking for shortcuts on everything...including things that will hurt our children in the long run.


I was a young mom living in a city where I didn't know anyone so I started going to McDonald's Playplace so that I could have conversations. Then, we moved to a city with both a Chick-fil-A and a McD's. So, more food options and more conversations. We seriously did this 3-4 times per week! At the time, I selfishly didn't think about hurting my child. Bry is still addicted to junk food. He literally will not eat if it's healthy. Over the winter we began eating healthy meals at the table every weeknight. He ate bananas many nights. Bry has gotten down to 131 pounds and he's 5'11. Since my surgery though he has eaten lots of junk food, but has not gained weight. The only vegetables he eats are in the sauce laden chicken stir fry. It's quite sad. So...I've been thinking what to do. Then I found this book at the library.


There's no reason why we cannot incorporate some of these foods. I'd like to go on record as saying that I read Jessica Seinfeld's books about using puree's in her children's foods. I tried it a few times and quite frankly, it was a lot of work. So, I figured I could start making purees as soups as listed in le Billon's book yet incorporate foods that he enjoys as well. We will eat at the table for all meals, which is the hardest for Michaela, as she likes to eat in front of the television. No snacking will also be hard for the children. We've done the whole if you're hungry then grab something. Snacks will only be fruit and cheese, which is perfect to  do now that it is summer.

If y'all decide to check out Karen's book, French Kids Eat Everything, please let me know if you use these principles!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...