28 April 2014

Gluten Free Household


Over the years we have forced our children to try various diets. Not just the I-need-to-lose-20lbs-now type of diet, but for health reasons. For instance, my youngest son has some learning and speech issues. His speech therapist told us to put him on a gluten-free and casein-free diet at age 3. We've done this periodically throughout his life. My daughter is lactose intolerant. My husband has done low-carb, juice fasts, South Beach, Salmon diet, on and on. My husband is a naturapathic doctor so trying these things is something he feels has has to do to see if he should recommend them to his patients/colleagues. He no longer practices, but he still tries various things to see how they work. We are now trying paleo. Unlike low carb, cheese isn't a main source of one's diet and you can have fruit and a few grains, but not wheat. My husband has hypothyroidism (no grains), my daughter is pre-diabetic and the lactose issue (little fruit, sugar, and cheese), and I cannot eat leafy green vegetables (because of a medication) or seafood (allergic). It is very difficult to adhere to these tight boxes. I mean, good grief! My youngest, thank the Lord, has no special dietary issues any longer except for him being a MEAT LOVER.

In our homeschooling today, my son and I were studying the Great Depression. I told him about how Nana and Muzzie lived through it and have told me stories. Nana told me that they were not hungry because they lived on a farm. Because they didn't have much money or sugar, there was not many opportunities to have junk around. They had bread, but it was freshly milled. Muzzie's grandfather was actually the county millwright when she was growing up. Grains were locally grown and typically pesticide free. Nana said they did not spray the trees and vines when she was little. She grew up with an organic garden before organic was "cool". Her family was self-sustainable. That's how they survived the Depression.

We've gotten so far away from that today. I'm struggling to come up with the menu this week because of the "diets" everyone is on. Gluten free, soy free, milk free, pescitarian, fruitarian, paleolithic, Atkins, etc are driving me batty! On a television show a few weeks ago someone made a joke about if someone wanted to wipe out the world they would just have to open a jar of peanut butter. All I know is that I want us to have foods that Nana had on her farm. Do y'all have any recommendations?

This is what I have so far:

Sunday-
Brunch- leftover Gluten Free chocolate pancakes and turkey bacon (pork for me)
Dinner- tomato basil soup and gluten free corn muffins

Monday-
Breakfast- eggs with peppers
Lunch- Neiman Marcus dip with tortilla chips
Dinner- beet salad couscous and Greek chicken

Tuesday-
Breakfast- paleo protein bars and fruit smoothie
Lunch- leftovers (I hope)
Dinner- southwest quinoa and asparagus

Wednesday-
Breakfast- eggs and bacon
Lunch- Annie's gluten free macaroni and cheese and an apple
Dinner- tuna salad on a salad (egg salad for me)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...