20 October 2014

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Roasted Brussels sprouts have become a fall and winter staple in this household for the last few years. I did not grow up eating this cruciferous vegetable as my mother did not like them (I think it's the smell more than the taste, as let's face it, they smell like gym socks). Back when I was a Food Network junkie, I watched The Barefoot Contessa, Mrs. Ina Garten, make these on her show. I've since made a few changes, but the overall recipe is her idea, or maybe others before her, I don't know, but I do know she was the first person I saw with the idea. I now roast everything pretty much the same way all winter long. Come spring, the oven does not get turned on much so the roasting all but stops.

So, you start by buying these cabbage jewels on the stalk from Trader Joe's, or in a bag from wherever. I have not tried this with frozen sprouts, so I can not verify their outcome. Then turn on your oven and preheat at 400*.

Then you take each of the sprouts off of the stalk. Some have long leaves like this which you pull away as shown below. Take off any and all loose leaves just as you would when using cabbage or iceburg lettuce.

Then you cut the sprouts in half, or if small then you can keep whole. It's to make them all about the same size for cooking time.

After cutting, rinse in a colander and pat dry. Then place in a large bowl. Toss with enough olive oil to coat (I use about 2 Tbsp.) Sprinkle herbes de Provence over it (about 1/2 tsp. to 1 tsp. depending on how many sprouts you have.). This stuff is amazing! I put it in vinagrettes and on fish and chicken. It's soooo good.

 

Then, I sprinkle with about 1/2 tsp. fleur de sel, which is a fancy coarse sea salt. You could also use pink Himalayan if you have that on hand. I use this when roasting everything but carrots. It's a bit too much for them so I use plain sea salt (and cinnamon).

 

Place on a baking sheet (I lined mine with parchment paper for easy clean up). Then bake for 20 minutes or so. They should be brown and crispy.

See? I eat the crispy pieces and leave the rest for everyone else. ;) So good!

````

P.S. I apologize for my pictures. I'm asking for Photoshop for Christmas so I can brighten these babies up.

 

2 comments:

  1. Two Things:
    1. Yum! I love Brussels Sprouts!
    2. Don't get PhotoShop unless you go big. Just download Picassa for free; it's better than Photoshop Elements.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...