16 February 2015

Monday Musings

I didn't intend for this to be a weekly theme, but for a 3rd time, here it is again, Monday Morning (er, afternoon) Musings.

Mr. and I celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary on Valentine's Day. Yes, I was a young'un when we married, but I was older than both my sister and Mother and they are both still married (25 and 51 years respectively). I'll be honest, there have been many times when I did not think my husband and I would still be married, but through our love for each other and our commitment, we are closer now than ever. We have awesome role models to look at for enduring marriages as both B's parents and mine have been married over 50 years (his mother died in 2013 or they would be married 55 years in May).


Anyhoo, I'm not a flowers kinda girl, and since we are following Dave Ramsey's approach to getting Sallie Mae kicked to the curb there were not any gifts exchanged that cost money, sigh. That's okay though. We went to The Mill Kitchen in Roswell. It's a cool place that has local, organic, and Southern ingredients. I had a Pimento Cheese BLT on sourdough with hand cut french fries with fleur de sel salt on top and sweet tea. Oh my. It was Divine! B had wild caught salmon salad. I want to go there for Mother's Day. It's that good. After lunch we ran to Trader Joe's where I bought Salted Caramel Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Truffles. They were swoon worthy and gone in a flash. Ha! The night ended with a Hallmark movie and Friday Night Lights (movie). It was a good day.


Yesterday we went to church and afterwards we needed gas so we went to Sam's Club and we had a few minutes before Bry would be ready to be picked up so we went in to see what's on sale. I looked at the bread aisle and found it empty. I guess people didn't get the memo that we aren't getting snow or ice as forecasted on Saturday, but just getting rain. There's a small chance of the rain today freezing tonight, but no ice falling. It's pretty ridiculous, but whatever. I'm irritated that we aren't getting anything pretty. We've had snow in March before so maybe it will happen this year.

We watched the SNL 40th Anniversary special last night and there is a distinct difference in SNL from the 80's and prior to 90's and later. It was so much funnier. It's ironic that censors are more lenient now than they were when SNL began, yet it's stupid now, in my opinion.

We had Meatless Monday last night so I will be making Thai Green Curry for supper tonight. Last night I made tomato basil soup and Pamela's (crack) Cornbread. The soup is super easy:

Tomato Basil Soup
1 tbsp. grapeseed or olive oil
1 onion
4 cubes of crushed garlic (in frozen aisle at TJ or 4 tsp. of fresh minced)
3 cubes of basil
1 28 oz. can of tomatoes with basil
8 oz. of tomato basil spaghetti sauce, or whatever you have on hand
32 oz. carton of chicken stock
rind of Parmesan if available
splash of cream

In a dutch oven, over medium heat, warm the oil. Once the oil is shimmering add the onion and soften for a few minutes. Add the garlic and basil and cook for about a minute until fragrant. Add the tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, rind, and stock. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until the cornbread is about finished. Then puree with an immersion blender or using ladle pour into a regular blender and liquify it in batches. Make sure if you're using a regular blender that you have a towel over the lid and hold the lid down while blending. Add a splash of cream at the end of blending and it's off the heat. Serve!


7 comments:

  1. I will have to try that soup! And float a piece of sourdough toast with melted gruyere atop it, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and of course, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Caroline! It's super easy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary (a few days late). My parents were married for 53 tempestuous years when my father died. I think I grew up thinking of marriage as a challenge, not a commitment! I learned quickly that it wasn't that way at all. Best wishes from a frozen (and beautiful) Pittsburgh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a lovely celebration. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jan, I'm glad you've learned the right way.

    Thank you, Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  7. those truffles sound heavenly

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...