06 March 2015

The Archers

Around two years ago I began listening to The Archers podcast on my iPhone. It took me a few weeks to know which voice belonged to whom, and then read the character bios on the who's who page. Once I learned the characters stories and put the voice to the names, I was hooked.

Basically, the series is set in the fictional town of Ambridge in the Midlands region of England. It is a sleepy rural area so you hear a lot of mooing and baaahs. There are the family farmers, corporate farmers, those that do contractual work, and general people of the community like shop owners, vicar, etc. There have been a few unpleasant storylines like Ruth's miscarriage and Roy's affair, but they are not violent nor in your face disgusting. But this week...there was a massive flood. It's been 5 days (each episode is 13 minutes) of finding people, resuscitation, puppies and horses being lost, Rob (the evil one) hitting his head, and so on. At first, I was like, this is getting good (hey, I grew up on Days of Our Lives), but now, I don't like it.

I listen to The Archers for serenity. To remind myself of being in the small town in which I grew up (and is buried under feet of snow). I can visualize the picturesque farms with rolling green hills with sheep. I can visualize the milk parlors with cows chewing on clover while being milked either by hand or even, gasp, a machine. This has been a recent storyline with the daughter (Pip) of one of the farmer's (David) wanting to modernize the farm with robotic milking. Now, there may not be a farm to use.

I hope that BBC writers will listen to those of us that want the gentle farm life, not where are they.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...