29 May 2015

Under Magnolia

A week or so ago I sent my cousin, a librarian back home, a photo of the approx. 15 books I had brought home from my local library (I'm a huge proponent of utilizing my public library!). In the stack my cousin noticed Under Magnolia by Frances Mayes and said that she'd heard it is a good book. I read it last week...and she was absolutely correct. It is such a good book!

Frances Mayes wrote Under the Tuscan Sun and several other books based on her life in Italy and California. Under Magnolia is based on Mayes' childhood in rural Georgia and college years in Virginia, hence the magnolia in the title. Mayes can put on paper details that make you feel (believe)  you are in Fitzgerald, Georgia in the 1950's. If you're looking for a book to read while sipping sweet tea on the porch, this is a good one. 

Upon catching up on blogs today, I came across a list of what celebrities are reading (http://www.mydomaine.com/books-celebrities-are-reading/). Also on the list, I found out that Reese Witherspoon has a Insta account of her book club. Southern Living has a list of the best Southern Fiction that I can also recommend (http://thedailysouth.southernliving.com/tag/books/). That is where I found Under Magnolia, as well as my current read, Saving CeeCee Honeycutt.

What are you reading?

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the reading ideas. Looking for something good to read. 'Magnolia' is my next read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Kathie! You'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished reading Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt and loved it! I will admit, I did think of you and some of your descriptions of southern women, while I was reading it. I'll check out Magnolias next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, that's sweet that you thought of me, Jan. I'm halfway through Cee Cee and I love the strong female characters.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...