17 June 2015

Slow Cooker Chicken

Yes, I've chosen to live in the Deep South, but law, it's hot. We were 4 degrees away from breaking a 79 year record. So, it's hot...and humid...ew. If leaving the house is necessitated then leaving before noon is a must. Needless to say that turning on my oven sounds horrifying even with air conditioning. I cannot even imagine my foremothers fried chicken or made soup over a fire in hot Georgia summers pre-air conditioning.

How I do it is we eat a lot of salads, fruit, and I use the slow cooker A LOT. One of my favorite things to do is cook skinless boneless chicken breasts and use it for many meals. I'll list a few here.

Recipe:

10-15 skinless boneless chicken breasts (I use Coleman Organics from Costco. If you use a bag then drain them before putting in the insert.)
32 oz box (low sodium)

Thaw the chicken if necessary. My slow cooker requires thawing of foods before placing in the insert. Cover the chicken with broth until it is completely covered; add water if necessary. Turn on low for 6 hours, high for 3. Check the internal temperature and make sure it's 165. If it is, take out the chicken and with two forks, shred.

My favorite recipe is honey chicken salad croissants:
2 cups of chicken
1/4 cup walnuts
Sliced grapes (your decision on quantity)
1-2 Tablespoon celery
1 Tablespoon honey
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup mayonnaise

Mix to combine. Add more yogurt if necessary to moisten. Place in croissant with lettuce leave, or on top of a salad. My husband will eat it with corn chips.

A few more recipes for the shredded chicken is:
BBQ chicken
BBQ chicken pizza
Chicken enchiladas
Chicken noodle soup or tortilla soup

What is your favorite slow cooker recipe?

2 comments:

  1. You had me giggling at your first sentence! Stay cool! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...