20 October 2015

A Sale and A Recipe


The other day I was watching a few blogger's YouTube videos and one of the one's I watched is Krista Robertson of Covering The Bases. I have since started following her on Twitter and Snapchat. On Twitter she mentioned Goodnight Macaroon is having a sale. So I went on and found that on Tuesday's they have flash sales. Today's sale has a few really cute items 50% off! Here are three that I adore:

Grey Sweater with Red Plaid Trim

Window Pane Skater Dress (Grey or Navy)

Preppy Stripe Cardigan (Grey, Navy, or White)

When my family came the weekend before last, I made apple cider and my son has requested it every day since. I love that he is getting nutrients for his growing body. It is paramount to purchase REAL apple cider. Costco carries ours and it is by Hays and says apple cider, but if you can find it locally sourced, such as your closest apple barn, then that is even better. What that means is that it has no added sugar or citric acid. It is pure by being only pressed apples. That way you can control what you put in your cider. I buy my mulling spices at Penzey's Spice shop. For years I purchased it at Williams Sonoma, and they are just as delicious as Penzey's, but a tad more expensive. I buy my bourbon vanilla at Trader Joe's. If you do not have that nearby, this is the gold star of vanilla. Many recipes call for brown sugar, and while I think it enhances the taste, adding sugar is not necessary as apples are already sweet on their own. Many family members are on The Daniel Plan and you cannot have additional sugar, so I tried it this time without the brown sugar and it was just as good without it. A tea ball is SO helpful in this recipe. If you do not have one, then you can use a fine mesh strainer.

Hot Apple Cider
4 cups Apple Cider (found in the refrigerator section)
2 tablespoons mulling spices
.50 teaspoon Bourbon vanilla
orange peels (optional)
whipped cream (optional)

In a small saucepan, pour in the juice. Turn the heat on medium-low. Put the mulling spices in the ball and place in the pan, or if you do not have the ball, place the spices directly in the pan; add the orange peel. I warm it until I see slight steam rising from the pan, around 15-20 minutes, but it can be kept on for hours. Turn off the heat and discard the peel. You can leave the ball in as long as you want but if you do not have the ball then get a large Pyrex measuring cup and place a strainer on top. Pour the juice in the strainer; discard the spices. Once you have poured yourself (and others) a cup, pour the remaining cider back into the pan (with or without the spices, that is up to you) and put the burner on low. Add whipped cream if you desire, we do.

P.S. These apple cider doughnuts look soooo scrumptious!

2 comments:

  1. My 5 year old LOVES apple cider. He tried it at an apple tasting party they had at school and he loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really delicious and healthy, IF you leave out the brown sugar.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...