08 December 2015

Happy Hanukkah & Feeling Festive (Not)

Happy Hanukkah! (or is it Chanukah?) I pray that everyone has a wonderful Festival of Lights. To my Jewish readers, do you enjoy getting gifts for 8 nights or would you rather have 1 day like Christians?


The tree is bare minus the lights and pine cones that come with it, but it is up and glowing. I will get the wreath, stockings, outside lights, and bed frame lights up this weekend. Bryson said today that it does not seem like Christmas. My cousin texted me and said it is difficult to get in the Christmas spirit in the 60's and 70's. We are used to it being warm when shopping; I had a Facebook photo last year of me in shorts and flip flops going Christmas shopping, so that's not it, but something is off. It's not festive. So, obviously something has got to be done. I'm thinking Stone Mountain Park on Saturday since it will be 75 so nice and warm but in a festive environment. It gets cool at night so the light show will be perfect to get us in the Christmas spirit.

Everyone is going on and on about the new Adele album. I listened to it during Thanksgiving since Michaela bought it before our trip. Her voice is awesome, but I don't think it puts one in the Christmas spirit. So, if you're struggling to get into the Christmas spirit turn her off for a month and turn on Frank Sinatra Holiday station on Pandora, Elvis Christmas Album, or the pinnacle of my middle school years, 98 Degrees

Eggnog, hot cocoa, mulled wine, hot apple cider, etc. in fun holiday cups bring back memories of coming in from playing in the snow and warming up (the wine maybe not but it's still festive). Make sure you have lots of marshamallows (these are snowflake marshmallows!) and other toppings on hand. I bought some Organic Valley Eggnog that should help get us in the mood. 

Do you have young children? If so, there's nothing like making paper chains to countdown the days until Christmas. If you're Jewish, your children can make little star of David's for each day of Hanukkah. Make lighting the menorah or advent candles so special that they look forward to it each day. 
Of course Christmas movies are so necessary to get into the Christmas spirit. I mean, Hallmark Channel knows this so you'll shop in their stores during the season so they play holiday movies 24/7. I have about 10 recorded on my DVR that I'm slowly working my way through. Netflix has several but Youtube has a lot, such as my favorite Eloise. I love her! 

I think once we start getting Christmas cards, shopping is finished, and get around family it will seem more like Christmas. In the meantime, I'll do the things above to help foster festive feelings. 

Happy Hanukkah!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...