13 January 2016

Shows for Anglophiles

It is no secret that I am an Anglophile (obsessed with all things British). Mother and Father bought me Majesty or Royalty magazines when I was 12 and then when I went to England at 14 I really got into British television. I have been watching Britcoms on Saturday night's on PBS for as long as I can remember. Muzzie and I shared a love of Hyacinth, which my sweet Father-in-law now shares that same love with me; much to my husband's chagrin as he does not get the dry comedy. Netflix and Amazon Prime have several British shows that you can watch and I have included them here. Netflix has an entire section to British TV and just began showing 2005 version of Pride & Prejudice. Prime has the 1995 (my favorite) version of P & P. 
  Of course I had to include Downton Abbey. This season is starting off well. Hopefully this will end with a tidy bow and not with us asking questions that will never be answered. The first 5 seasons can be found on Amazon Prime and season 6 is currently airing on Sunday night's and can be found here on Mondays.
Now I am not normally a fan of mysteries, however British mysteries are different. Both Rosemary & Thyme and Father Brown are mysteries but they are not barbaric like CSI. In British fashion, they are gentle. Rosemary & Thyme is about a doctor of  horticulture and her friend whom happens to be a former police officer, which comes in handy since they find deceased people all over. I am on season 2 on PBS, but Netflix has all 4 seasons.
Father Brown is based on G.K. Chesterson's short stories about a priest that has a penchant for solving mysteries. This is a current series being aired on PBS. Check your local stations.
Oh my Mrs. Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet) is such a fusspot. She tries to live her life in a certain manor akin to royalty, but her family makes it impossible. Hyacinth airs on Saturday night's on local PBS stations and the entire series can be viewed on Netflix.
I Heart GBBO! This is a huge hit in America and I'm on the bandwagon. Season 2 in America is season 4 in Britain just finished airing a few months ago. They filmed season 6 on Britain last year so that should be coming here soon. You can find past episodes on YouTube. Season 1 (American, season 5 Britain) is on Prime.

Bonus: my favorite podcast is a gentle 13 minute daily episode of English country farm life, The Archers. 

There are many more shows but just airing my top 5. I adore As Time Goes By, Miranda, and Sherlock as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...