21 March 2016

Bry's Birth Story


Yesterday, my youngest living child turned 18. Bryson is seriously the sweetest teenage boy in the world. I thought today I would give his birth story. The week before his birth I had been hospitalized because I was very swollen and did not have a ton of movement. His bio-life score was just 3/7. After hydration and monitoring he perked back up. I'd been having pretty severe braxton hicks contractions since I was 32 weeks and this was 35 weeks. I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia and told to stay still and drink more water. I quit my job. I was young (20) and so they thought if I could stay still then everything would be alright. Well, he had other ideas.

About 4 days later, when my mom brought down my items from my baby shower, I went into labor. My husband was in Alabama working so she drove me to the hospital. I was not dilated but 3 cm so they sent me home. The doctors decided not to stop my labor this time. My contractions stayed around every 5 minutes so I went to the doctor the next morning and they said just to stay home until they were every 2-3 minutes. The baby was not distressed and I'd labor better at home. They said just to take baths when the contractions hurt. I did this all that night and then they got so intense the bath wasn't doing anything. Around 5 am we went to the hospital. They checked me and I was only dilated 4 cm but they decided to keep me. As they were hooking my stomach up to the monitors they could not find his heartbeat. They were moving me all around. I may have cursed this one time, which was pretty good for natural labor. Of course they panicked. I didn't know what was going on. The nurse checked me again and I had fully dilated. Yep, in 10 minutes after checking me earlier I was ready. The nurse broke my water and out he came. The cord was wrapped so they told me to stop pushing and then one more and he was out. Then my doctor walked in. She said in over 20 years of labor and delivery she has never missed a birth as she lives 1 mile away from the hospital. I suppose that makes us special.

The nurses whisked Bryson away because they were concerned he had lost oxygen and being a preemie. They brought him back soon after and we tried breast feeding. It didn't work so they gave him a bottle with a preemie nipple. He never could breast feed. I pumped but couldn't long as I was so exhausted. He was feeding every other hour because he was small. Those were rough times. I grew up quickly. We grew up together.

When he was 2 weeks old we moved to Alabama for a year then to Peachtree City, Georgia for a year. After PTC, we moved to north metro Atlanta, where we have remained for 16 years. Bryson has grown into a sweet person, gentle person, small dog lover, good friend, and one who honors Christ. Because of those things I can forgive the fact that he does not like sports...at all.
Bryson is currently a junior in high school. He attends our local public high school. Because of his traumatic birth and losing oxygen in the womb, he has a slight speech issue and learning difficulties. He's a very smart boy with technology, which he plans to pursue after graduation. But first, he needs to pass biology. Bryson is truly my world. I thank the Lord for him each and every day. My First Day of Spring baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...